The Great Gatsby Review!

00:48:00



Hello My Lovely's,

So if you haven't guessed from the previous message, I loved 'The Great Gatsby'. There have been many mixed reviews about the film and so I am going to put my voice on the film into them! The film set to open Cannes film festival right now will amaze many a viewers tonight!

From the moment the film starts it is a gripping, amazing and beautiful film. Director Baz Luhrmann has hit the  nail straight on the head with this film and if he is not in the mix for OSCAR nominations than I swear it is a fix!
Starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, newcomer Elizabeth Debicki and Joel Edgerton, the film has a well fitting cast to display their chosen characters!

The film is a beautiful portrayal of the doomed love story between Gatsby and Daisy, through the eyes of Nick Garraway, over the period of one summer. From parties to funerals the artistic style of the film never leaves the screen and many moments caused me to feel the butterfly's that that film industry has been lacking in recently. It is so different to what has been shown on screen, that it is understandable why it has been chosen to open Cannes. All bow down to Luhrmann now!!!

Maguire takes on the role of the main protagonist Nick Garraway. A man who is consumed by the wealth, beauty and power the West and East egg society's provide. As someone who is famed for his role in 'Spiderman' I have to give all the credit to Maguire as he comes out on top form as Garraway. He captures the messed up reality that he has entered perfectly and is a very likeable character, who is very different from the book as the audience believes everything he says.

Maguire's Nick is the character who glues all the ideas together and makes the relationships start to form on screen which was done in a very amazing way with DiCaprio's Gatsby. A stand out scene between the two which captures the pairs true friendship was the decoration scene at Nick's house. I full on belly laughed at this moment as it was just perfect in such an  artistic beauty of a film. It showed how Luhrmann wasn't just focusing on the romantic aspects but the friendship elements too which were key in keeping the audiences interest.

Speaking of DiCaprio's Gatsby, there wasn't anyone who could have fit the role more perfectly. His gentle nature is a constant throughout even in the fight scene, which Nick narrates perfectly with the look of someone who had "killed a man"! His mysterious nature right from the start was amazing in its coordination of the book. If I was someone who had not read the book before and didn't know the plot of the film, I would truly wonder what this man was so obsessed with and why he needed Daisy so much!

However something that did bother me with Gatsby, was how much they over used 'Old Sport'. I know it is a key quote and he does use it often but the amount it is used in the film is to much. Many people including myself were getting annoyed at how much it was used. Yes okay I know its his saying but stop using it!

The ladies of the film were very different and mostly well adapted from the tale. Jordan Baker played by Elizabeth Debicki, definitely deserved more air time then she got. I would have loved all the elements of her relationship with Nick to have been shown as I think she was a truly lovable character compared to Mulligan's Daisy who was a little bland for someone who was suppose to play an over the top female just portrayed a women who was so confused that it made her spoilt little rich girl image seem to die off. This was such a rubbish thing to do as it showed Mulligan as not being a suitable actress compared to her normal brilliant performances, but I will give her credit for actually taking on one of the hardest female roles and sort of succeeding.

Someone who definitely deserved more screen was Isla Fisher's Myrtle Wilson. An outstanding performance from someone who hasn't built up much of a film background. Considering you are suppose to hate Myrtle, I ended up loving her and (SPOILER ALERT) upon her death I felt sorry for her!

Hands up to the king of music Jay Z for his impeccable soundtrack. I was a little worried when I first heard that Jay Z was going to be producing the music for this film, but he destroys any chance of others beating this films! Every song fit in perfectly and Lana Del Ray deserves a lot of praise for her song which becomes the ultimate song throughout the whole film. As well a few songs popped up that I don't think people will be expecting but everyone will know them and like myself will want to get up and dance around to them!

Artistic and stylish the film is beauty after beauty shot onto the big screen! The parties were the best things I have seen in years and I honestly want someone to build a time machine, take me back to 1920's and buy me a big yellow car because of it. The film is incredible, the actors are incredible and the soundtrack is memorizing!

Everyone needs to see the biggest film of the year as soon as possible! You do not no what you are missing out on if you do not go and see it. I loved every moment of it and I would love to hear what you all have to say about it as well!

The eyes of T.J. Eckleburg are looking over this beautiful...

5 STARS

Until Next Time...
Joey xxx

You Might Also Like

0 comments